Phil Montero of Montero Consulting specializes in educating and training people and organizations about all things telework, mobile offices, remote-work arrangements, virtual teams, and working from anywhere. He blogs about these things regularly at TheAnywhereOffice.com and also runs YouCanWorkFromAnywhere.com.
Phil was gracious enough to join us and talk about the topic of working anywhere as it relates to freelancers. How can we build trust with clients we may never meet face to face? What are some ways we can ensure success when we work in virtual teams with other freelancers? What effect does technology have on the shift from employee to freelancer? And is that shift here to stay?
This was our longest episode by far and a very engaging conversation all-around. You’ll definitely learn a few things from this one.
Mentioned in this episode:
- Dave: @daveyank, Lift Development, CommonSpace, Anywhere Man
- Brian: @casjam, CasJam Media, ThemeJam, briancasel.com
- Gary Vaynerchuk’s quote that “99.5 percent of social media experts are clowns“
- A walk-through of Brian’s app-in-progress
- Michael Hyatt’s tour of how he uses Evernote
- Ethan Marcotte’s post about responsive web design
- forrst.com, dribbble.com, codesnipp.it
- The New Small by Phil Simon
- Free Agent Nation by Daniel H. Pink
This episode’s soundtrack:
Check out the tight vocal harmonies of the Fleet Foxes and their new album Helplessness Blues.
Opening clip: “Helplessness Blues”
Closing track: “Lorelai”